(#13) I'm thankful for brethren who won't let me backslide

Some of the saddest stories recorded in the Bible involve spiritually weak or rebellious people finding themselves isolated, with no one to push or pull them back onto the right path. 

With very few exceptions (like Jeremiah), no one was around to push the nation of Judah back onto the narrow path in the years before their captivity. "From the prophet even to the priest everyone practices deceit. They heal the brokenness of my people superficially, saying, 'Peace, peace,' but there is no peace" (Jeremiah 8:10-11). A storm was swift approaching which would obliterate the nation because of their sins, but very few people were doing the difficult work of pleading and rebuking on God's behalf. 

It takes a special kind of person to have the moral fortitude to tell someone they are doing wrong and need to change. Most people are too afraid to do it. Living a life of moral compromise does that to a person. But there are some people who are passionate about God, who are zealous for his glory, who will call out those in sin and seek to correct error, adopting the most effective methods as the situation demands. 

"We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone." (1 Thessalonians 5:14)

I'm grateful for the people who have applied the above verse in their dealings with me. When you see me stray from what God has commanded, you would be my friend to let me know that you see it. I want to surround myself with people like Jeremiah, not with those only interested in a superficial relationship with me, saying "Peace, peace," when there is no peace. I hope I can grow to be a Jeremiah too. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 02/08

Does culture affect the application of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16?

Country Music