(#2) I'm thankful God's forgiveness doesn't depend on my perfection

I'm a perfectionist by nature. If it wasn't clear already, by the end of today it was. One of my coworkers was thinking about writing a small computer program and he told me about it. I volunteered to do it myself, which may have been his intent all along. The functional aspects of the program were not complicated and something workable could have been finished in a couple hours. I spent at least 7-8 hours on it. I did run into some unanticipated issues, but around 5-6 hours in, the program was basically working. But it wasn't perfect. And I didn't like the way it looked. So I kept tinkering and toying and tweaking it until I was mildly pleased with it. Frankly, it was a waste of valuable time that could have been spent on more productive, pressing tasks.

Perfectionism in the workplace, particularly in an industrial setting, can be a drain on valuable resources. In the life of a Christian it can be deadly, as I know too well. Those who aren't perfectionists may think that that is the goal, but they couldn't be more wrong. The goal is perfection through faith in Christ's work on the cross and in our daily lives.

The perfectionist doesn't always get as much done as his more pragmatic friends. He is liable to never begin an endeavor because he knows if he starts it, he will inevitably feel disappointed by the end. Nothing we do is ever perfect. There are always flaws, and no one is more aware of that than the perfectionist.

Last night, Ryan Hasty said something to me that I intend never to forget: "Walk by faith, not by perfect commandment keeping." "I have a problem with that," I replied. "I know!" he said.

I'm so thankful that God in his great mercy does not cast away his imperfect children.

"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 02/08

Does culture affect the application of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16?

Country Music