(#17) I'm thankful for a WWII theologian

Image result for bonhoeffer


In order to avoid the appearance of an open-ended endorsement of this particular person, I will refer to them as "X" (although I have heard him quoted warmly by one dearly beloved preacher).

A few years ago as I was preparing to serve as a translator in Central America, I picked up the Spanish translation of a popular biography of WWII era theologian X. While my beliefs (and, the Bible, I tend to think) diverge sharply from some of X's published thoughts, it is hard to read his story without being impressed with his general character. I would like to share a few quotes from X's writings. Caveat lector, for I am producing my own English translation of a Spanish translation of X's German writings. So, the idea should be basically the same as the original, but the wording may be quite different. In fact, I am hoping that to be the case to prevent anyone from figuring out X's identity. But these were quotes I found to be powerful and thought-provoking.

"It is easier for me to imagine that a murderer or a prostitute would pray than that a vain person should do so. There is nothing so discordant in prayer as vanity.

[Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you." (Matthew 21:31)]

Writing to his fiance, he said of the impending marriage, "It must strengthen our decision to do and to realize something upon the earth. I fear that Christians who attempt to stand on one foot on earth will find themselves in like manner in heaven." His point was that it is important to recognize we live in the present and we live on earth. We must not wile away our days just wishing we were somewhere else, failing to accomplish anything on earth. 

[You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. (Matthew 5:13)]

"One admires Christ as an aesthetic genius, we define him as the great ethical teacher, we marvel at how he went to the cross as a heroic sacrifice for his ideas. There's just one thing we don't do: we don't take him seriously. We don't put our own lives in contact with Christ's affirmation to transmit the revelation of God and to be himself that manifestation. We keep a certain distance between us and the word of Christ, without permitting a serious encounter."

Speaking of the state of American churches, "The sermon has been reduced to parenthetical ecclesiastical commentaries on the events published in newspapers... It is absurd to expect fruit where the Word is not really preached. Instead of contemplating all of this with skepticism, the American worshiper takes it as an proof of progress... In New York almost everything is talked about; there's just one subject that they don't touch, or that when they do, it is so rare that until now I haven't been able to hear it, and that is the gospel of Jesus Christ, the cross, sin and forgiveness, death and life."

[ I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. (1 Corinthians 2:2)]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 02/08

Does culture affect the application of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16?

Country Music