(#14) I'm thankful I am more than my race

It genuinely scares me to see the racial tension in our country lately. All around, people are angry. Riots break out, store windows are smashed, people are screamed at, shot, run over, sometimes for no more than being a certain color. There is this seething rage that makes it impossible to have human interaction, much less spiritual relationships, possible. Calm, reasoned discourse gets thrown out the window. There is violence on every side. I thought so much of this stuff was behind us and it's terrifying to realize that it's not.

Not only is this situation scary, it also doesn't make any sense. People literally have zero choice in their skin color. "Can the Ethiopian change his skin?" (Jeremiah 13:23). It also has zero correlation with their character. "...Behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes..." (Revelation 7:9).

I'm glad I'm more than just a white person. I'm glad God doesn't look at me and just see a white guy and judge me based on that. How could he even judge me based on that? Being white, or black, or whatever crayon you want to color yourself with, has nothing to do with our standing before God. It should anger us that anyone would try to insinuate that it did. It is wrong to make moral judgments about someone based on their race. God is not like that. "For the Lord your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality..." (Deuteronomy 10:17).

There have been times where I was treated differently because of my race and I didn't like it. In Central America, I and other "gringos" have to be careful in certain areas because bad things could happen to us. The color of our skin makes us an easy target. Although I have spent 3 months in Honduras, I have never gone out on my own because of that. I, and probably most white tourists in Central America, have been charged far more for items because I clearly wasn't from around those parts.

Unfortunately, in the United States right now, there will likely be things assumed about you, whether you are white, black, latino, et al, merely because of what you look like. Even us, with all our supposedly progressive, forward-thinking ideals. Our media, I'm afraid, is only assisting in fracturing us. The worst elements of every race get 95% of the news coverage. The people I know aren't like the people in the media. The black people I know aren't trying to shoot cops. The white people I know aren't running over people with their vehicles. It absolutely sickens me to see all of this damnable behavior.

No Christian should ever decide who to teach the gospel to, who to associate with or who to have fellowship with merely based on skin color. It is sin. It is evil. God doesn't do it, we shouldn't do it.

Please, just stop.

I'm thankful I am more than my race. I'm thankful that you are more than your race.

"...you are all sons of God..." (Galatians 3:26)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 02/08

Does culture affect the application of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16?

Country Music